Sunday, September 30, 2012

Bittersweet

Eight years ago.

Brandon was three years old.
Look how cute he was!
(And imagine how active.)

Whitney was an infant.
Super sweet.
And lots of work.

Life was good.  And busy.  And that's when Andrew was asked to serve in the bishopric at church.  Eight years ago.  Wow.  Where has the time gone?  

Today, he was released from his responsibilities.  It is truly a bittersweet day.  When he was first called, it often felt like a sacrifice.  There were many, many long lonely days with Andrew gone.  Sundays were easily the hardest day of my week.  I felt sorry for myself.  And missed Andrew.  It was hard.

But as time went on, those sacrifices became just a normal part of our lives.  I had experiences that helped soften my heart and change my perspective.  We got used to lots of mom-and-kid-time on Sundays.  We didn't see Andrew on Wednesday nights and that was fine. Our family was strengthened in his absence.  We grew closer to each other and closer to the Lord.  His service was no longer a sacrifice.  It was a blessing.

There are some things I'll miss about Andrew being the bishop.  Many weeks a speaker in sacrament meeting would say something that would strike a chord with Andrew and I.  Or remind us of an inside joke.  I loved looking up to him sitting at the front of the chapel and sharing a smile across the room.  I'll miss that.  I will miss the outpouring of love, prayers, and service from the members of our congregation.  As a continuing BYU student, I have to get an ecclesiastical endorsement from my bishop every year.  It was so nice to just sit with Andrew in the living room in my pajamas for my last six interviews.  Now I'm going to have to actually set an appointment! 

But we are ALL happy to have more time with him.  And I'm so excited that his emotional burden will be lightened.  He'll receive another calling sometime soon.  And will continue to serve the Lord in whatever capacities he is asked.  But for now, we'll enjoy all the family time that we can get.

5 comments:

  1. We've been so proud of Andrew, and you too Andrea. It's been a blessing to see how selflessly you've served. I'm sure our whole family has been blessed by Andrew's service.

    And EIGHT years? Holy frijoles. You musta been good. :-)

    (btw, this is Angie, but Forrest is signed in and he concurs.!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it has been almost 8 years! And look how cute Brandon was back then. Adorable. Bishop has been so amazing and he is going to be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for making the last eight years possible for me and our family. You've been the MVP! (which can also mean Meat-less Vegetable Preparer in our house as well ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Drew (and Andrea) on 8 great years of service. You've both have such a great attitude and are a wonderful example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Well done, thou good and faithful servant(s."
    The Stake High Council will probably have a vacancy soon.

    ReplyDelete