Sunday, August 28, 2011

First day of school

It was bound to happen eventually.  Summer break has officially ended.  Brandon and Whitney donned their new backpacks and headed off to start another school year.

They were up at the crack of dawn,
got themselves all ready to go,
and were twiddling their thumbs waiting for us.
It was awesome.
We took a big step this year.
Or at least it felt big for me.
We are letting B ride his bike to school.
Thus the helmet in the above photo.

The first day went great!
Brandon started fifth grade.
His last year of elementary school.
He's handsome, even with helmet hair.
Here's what he had to say about his first day:
Best part:  Biking.  Because I love biking.
Worst part:  How suckish the rest of the class is at kick ball.
What he thinks of Ms. Morris:  She's really awesome because she's nicer than my last teacher.
Who he sat with at lunch:  Peyton, Trey, Bryce, Alexander
One thing he hopes will happen in 5th grade:  Do some fun science experiments.

Miss Whitney started second grade.
Her thoughts:

Best part:  Reading for about an hour.  I read five or six books.  But I can't remember their names.
Worst part:  How hot it was outside during recess.
What she thinks of Ms. Boyd:  She's really, really nice.  She let's us talk when we're waiting for the buses.
Who she sat by at lunch:  McKenzie and Amaya
Hope for second grade:  I hope that we do a really, really cool science experiment.
Other random thought:  There are a lot of people that I know at school and  a lot of people that I don't know.

Caroline was a little confused about why she didn't get to start school yet.  She has another week before it's her turn.  It didn't take her long to decide she liked having me to herself, though. 


We read books together, played the piano,

 built cool block towers,
met Andrew for lunch,

and practiced taking pictures of each other.

 She insisted that her toes be included in my photo shoot.

After the smooth start, I'm hopeful that this will be a good year for the kids.  And I'm trying not to be too wistful about the end of a fabulous summer.

7 comments:

  1. Hooray for a good first day of school! Although I'm afraid that if I were in Brandon's class, I'd be one of those kids who is suckish at kick ball. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon's so old! 5th grade!! His last year of elementary, poor kid. Does he realize it's his last year of recess?!

    Great footography. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that last photo with Caroline's toes in the pic. Too funny! And I can't believe Brandon is riding his bike to school all by himself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the latest pictures. NC is as bad as Utah. School should never start until after Labor Day. (Ah, the advantages of Oregon.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for these glimpses into the kids! I loved Brandon's best part "Biking - because I love biking" and feel for Whitney with it being so hot outside at recess! Loved the picture of Care Bear's foot too :)
    xo
    Grandma S

    ReplyDelete
  6. My boys would love it if they could ride their bikes to school!
    He is sure growing into a handsome young man...and your girls are as adorable as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caroline and Mommy: Alone at last! Sounds like you guys had the best time of all.

    ReplyDelete